Blog Journal #4 πŸ™‚

 Hello again!

    I chose to examine the 11-12th grade ELA technological literacy standards, as that is what I would like to teach when I become a full-time service teacher. The standard I specifically looked at was 2 LAFS.1112.W.3.8, which aligns itself best with an English classroom. This standard references a student's ability to find, analyze, and employ sources in a manner that effectively supports their works and does not violate plagiarism rules. Search engines and websites such as EasyBib and ERIC are mentioned as helpful resources to achieve a high level of success in this standard. I feel that - in my own classroom - a lesson on how to complete tasks using these resources would be vital prior to beginning a research essay or any research-based writing. I was given a lesson similar to this one by my high school librarian when I was in ninth grade. I feel qualified and prepared to teach my students about these skills and assist them when (or if) they may need it.

    One of the student resources within the 9-12th grade English teacher toolkit on the CPALMS website is the "Blasting Off with Active and Passive Voice" lesson. It is a series of videos for one topic which explains the importance, difference between, and more regarding passive and active voice in writing. I, personally, find this difference super important in creating a professional and complex piece of writing. It establishes authority over a work rather than just having something impersonal. I would use this resource to help my students understand why this difference is so important as a part of a pre-writing lesson. It works as a well-structured, pre-planned additional element of a lesson on this topic.

        Internet searching is a vital skill to have adopted in this day and age, especially as a teacher. As a teacher, you are the source of accurate information and assistance for your students so you have to be able to find that information. I think the skill for internet searching which I will find most useful as a reminder is that the snippets at the top of a search are not always accurate, though they may be easier to use. Finding a credible source is the most important aspect of finding information. An additional internet searching skill that I find useful is Google Scholar/Advanced. With these search engines, finding specific or academic information can be a lot easier.

Comments