Blog Journal #7 🖥

 Welcome back!

    School websites are a vital resource to the students and parents within any district. However, the practice of individual teacher pages holding class information is not something familiar to me. My high school did not have this and still does not, on its website. Looking at the Leon High School website, there is a lot more class information than I expected. I specifically pulled up Mercedes Holly's Spanish I and II class website. She has posted the syllabus, notes, a calendar, and more for the visitors of her site. I also looked at Marcia Cone's Algebra I class website, which has not been updated since 2015. There were no resources readily available for visitors to the site. The difference between the two pages was astonishing. Overall, I believe that websites like Holly's can prove very helpful to parents and students, as long as they are updated and are not the only space for class resources. 



Mercedes Holly's site: https://www.leonschools.net/Page/41323

Marcia Cone's site: https://www.leonschools.net/Page/17452

    In my mind, one of the most useful and efficient teacher productivity tools is Google Drive. Though it may seem basic, having a Google Drive to share with students can be beneficial to those students and the teacher for multiple reasons. I had a teacher in high school that had one of these drives and it was incredibly helpful to me as a student. Putting all of my class resources into a publicly viewable drive would allow my students and their parents to easily access anything they need, but also I can demonstrate to my administrators that my students are provided with resources and can view their educational standards. 

    I generally liked working on the PB Works site with my group to create various pages and files. It was easy to access, but not overly easy to share (as a leader). I liked being able to easily view everyone else's pages without having to request access, which would be helpful as a teacher. However, the format of the site and the inability to simultaneously work on a page made the process slightly challenging. With future students, I think a site like that would be beneficial for online class discussions or posts. I would not necessarily use this as a class website when resources like Weebly, which are easier to use, are available. It is not a bad site, yet there are better sites available for the purpose of having a web-based reference.

Comments